Sunday, June 22, 2014

Soviet Replacement Battle #28791

Given that I missed game night last week due to work, I’ve decided to post up my Khador Report, some of the details may be missing due to the age of the story, but this one is a lesson on positioning, and how quickly the game can change so quickly based on one bad move. I still didn’t pop feat, which I have decided to change very VERY soon.
This is also the Largest points game I’ve played, setting everything I own down onto the table, and with a 4th of my army being support pieces I was very nervous, but this managed to work out beautifully. Mostly due to the forest that was on my edge of the table. If that forest was not there, this match would have gone TERRIBLY. This also, was a match where Bricking up managed to work very well for me, and while I had issues moving it around, it managed to work out. Also, I got to really let Morghoul stretch his claws and sever a beautiful amount of arteries, which made me glad, because it allowed me to learn how to answer a very big question of board control with a surprising ease.

20pts. of Khador vs. Skorne
Khador:
pScorscha
Spriggan
Widow Makers
Widow Maker Solo
Ironfan Pikemen + UA + Kovnik

20pts of Skorne
pMorghoul
    Titan Gladiator
    2 Cyclops Savages
    Basilisk Krea
     Min. Pain Giver Beast Handlers
     Swap Gobbers
     Agonizer

The Khador player won the roll to go first. I took the picture a little late so that individual Ironfang on the far right should not be where it is. I did my best to brick up and put the important Support Pieces where they should. I had the Gobbers take front position, learning from the game where they accomplished nothing. The Paingivers stayed in the back but in range of each of the Beasts, and let the savages team up on the left flank to deal with the Widowmakers as need be. The Gladiator took point and I planned on having him ram head on into the Spriggan. This first turn I really planned on just trying to avoid/tarpit the Pikemen, as I knew that if they accomplished much or tied me I’d be spending my turns making out fury to tear through High Armor Infantry.


Turn 1:

Everyone runs. I got the picture here a little late so he was already starting his turn 2.
He just lets everyone run up, and maintains the same position on everything. Tosses down Fog of War with Scorscha.
I shift the brick to more of an ellipse, and do my best to keep everything safe from his Widowmakers and the Spriggan’s Lance Gun. I put Admonition on the Gladiator who is hiding in the Forest, to gain the benefits of Cover due to terrain. 
The Savages take flank on the left and right due to not having space in the beginning of the forest. The Krea pops animus keeping my Agonizer, and Savages and Gladiator safe. I use the Krea to screen my Caster, who is toeing the Gobber cloud, with the Beast Handlers hanging in the back as mild expendables. I forgot to put Fury into the Agonizer, to my Chagrin, but I had to use a lot of Fury this turn due to castings of Abuse to make my Gladiator hoof it fast enough.I twisted it around to keep my support pieces safer and less spread out so that the Widowmakers are as purely useless as possible. My opponent’s poor rolls this game honestly don’t help.



Turn 2:
The Khador player Upkeeps Fog of War and starts trying to take some shots at my stuff. He misses a lot with his Widow Makers, but manages to take down one of my Beast Handlers. The Spriggan fires at my Gladiator but doesn’t do anything particularly spectacular due to the buff stacking given by the Krea and the Forest, and shitty rolls. The Pikemen advance further.
My turn: Admonition is put onto Morghoul, and he puts Abuse onto the Gladiator. The Gladiator puts Rush on himself and slams the Spriggan, unfortunately moving outside of Morghoul’s tiny control area. I also send out one of the Cyclopes to deal with the Widowmakers and engage 2 of them, preventing them from firing on anything in particular. One Widow Maker dies, and two of them are engaged. 

Everyone else scoots over to the right, hiding in the forest, and benefitting from the Krea’s fantastic animus. I’m mostly scared of the Iron Fang Pikemen at this point because I hadn’t really figured out what to do with them this turn, other than a vague and fatalistic notion of tossing Morghoul at them since Pikemen are 1 Box infantry, and he can ricochet off them and deal with this tarpit with his bare claws. The Gladiator Slams the Spriggan just a little too far out of Morghoul’s Control Area after he put Rush on himself. I’m too prone to using Slam attacks rather than charges due to wanting to save Focus, but due to Morghoul’s small control area it’s not the wisest idea. I just need to soak that One Focus so that my Threat Ranges don’t extend past my caster. I forgot to pop smoke with my Gobbers. The Agonizer has been outpaced, becoming nothing more than 8 boxes of nothing due to no Arc Nodes being anywhere. The Agonizer is pretty useless against Khador. It doesn’t start getting useful anytime soon.



Turn 3:

The Ironfang pikemen charge in. This Triggers Admonition. I have Morghoul run backward, which was completely unnecessary and didn’t help Morghoul at all, as it caused issues for him trying to establish a ricochet charge. Fortunately, one of my Gobbers dies so it isn’t really a problem. Scorscha Dashes off to the side behind the wall. The Widowmakers try to toss out some shots, but are completely ineffective. 
My turn: The Gladiator fails it’s Frenzy check. It wiffs miserably on hitting the Spriggan. The Savage, to be useful, charges up and kills the Spriggan. The Paingivers Enrage the Krea and the Savage. Morghoul charges in and bounces around, dealing 1 point of damage to each of the Pikemen, accidentally dealing 1 damage to a multibox Kovnik rather than to the more useful targets. He clears the unit of single point infantry. He then sprints through the forest popping out on the other side. This one move cost me the game. The remaining Savage and Krea play clean up on the one or two models in the Pikemen unit, expertly removing them all in a single turn. This was my proudest and Stupidest moment in the entire game.
 I had it. I had cleared out the tarpit unit. I had let Morghoul show off the sheer levels of badass that Warlocks can attain, and had just been able to feel a rush of balls to the walls power tearing down an ENTIRE UNIT in ONE TURN. IN MELEE. It felt really good. But I messed up on running Morghoul to his limits and ran him too far through that forest. Leaving him totally exposed.


Turn 4:
Scorscha Casts Cyclone, then Advances, and fills my exposed Morghoul with Spammed Razor Wind. Killing him.




















Kill Shot: 
Discounting casters I've decided to include a new point in my reports called "Kill Counts", where to clarify what happens in the rounds I post pictures of removed models at the end of the match for both sides. 

Thoughts:
Wow. That was a really rapid end. It was a series of badass one turn executions. Whether they be Ironfangs or ‘Locks. I got what I wanted out of this round on a visceral, simplistic level by managing to run Morghoul hot and buy a ridiculous amount of attacks. On a play level, I feel as if I had managed to play my brick pretty well, but if I didn’t have that forest than I would be by far worse off. Not to mention I have to give a very honorable mention to my local Khador player getting Terrible Rolls this game. Everything he fired missed horribly. It kept half his army from being really useful, which made my time A LOT easier.
I need to learn the importance of the Control Area, as I slam instinctively, due to it being the Gladiator’s shtick, always leaving him in a place where I can’t give him any maintenance. I haven’t had much experience with the Beast Handlers, so I need to plan ahead more on if the charge is at all as helpful at times as it otherwise would be. It’s about balancing out for that strange mixture of risk and preparing for failed die rolls. 

However, I got pompous with Morghoul about how far he could move, and just lost all sense in the power rush. I should have stayed in the forest.
I also lost my Gladiator BY AN INCH, pretty much consigning him to uselessness due to sitting on 4 Fury that he would never be getting rid of due to terrible positioning.

This battle really showed how important my positioning is round by round, and that a good brick for some casters works better than others.  



No comments:

Post a Comment